Sunday, April 14, 2013

Week 4 - Blog post


Week 4—Read p. 143-152 in Roblyer and Doering book. Describe 3 kinds of material generators that you have used or would like to use in your classroom. Be specific about how you would use the tools.

The technology information discussed in Chapter 15 in our textbook gave me a new look in to what new advances in technology have been developed. I have used a number of different software programs in the past and was excited to find new links to try in my classroom.
I was not aware they were referred to as “material generators” but that is exactly what they do for us. I have used a number of them over the years. I have used Microsoft Word, a basic word processing software to create my syllabus to give to students, create signs for my classroom, create a chart for grading in the food and sewing labs, make presentable documents for Business and Industry Certification review and bulletin board labels. In addition I have created a brochure about my Programs’ Course Offerings. These are used to publicize the courses and activities to entice students to take my classes. Students are able to use this software for their classwork, projects, to make signs and creative documents for a presentation. Even in high school, students still like to “cut and paste”; now they can do it quickly, delete something if they change their mind or add graphics to make it more interesting or animated. I am looking forward to trying out the new Desktop Publishing link from our textbook.

Another Materials Generator I have used is Exam View Test generator. This software has saved me so much time. I especially like the way I am able to easily re-order questions in situations where students are closely seated. I can also create a simplified version as a study guide for my students. Another benefit is that this software allows me to customize a test for Special Needs students following the guidelines on their IEP’s. Having the ability to save to a Test bank has allowed me to customize different questions and the answer sheet prints out with it for easy grading
Certificate Maker: I have used a free online certificate maker to print certificates for students’ FCCLA participation, community involvement service, and FCCLA Officer certificates. I have also used it to make appreciation certificates for Advisory Board members, teachers’ aides and other “classroom helpers”.

I have used another rubric maker and am planning to try these new “bookmarks” to generate some new materials to keep them updated and visually stimulating.

No comments:

Post a Comment